Scientist turned educator, Maria Montessori, believed that there were three pillars to a strong education:
The Child, The Prepared Environment, And The Prepared Adult.
This idea transcends any mere educational method and forms a solid foundation for all education.
Sophia Homeschool, an online classroom dedicated to offering quality teacher training to homeschool parents, will present a series of webinars on these vital pillars of education.
Scroll down to see the syllabus!
About the Webinar
This webinar series will present the very first things all parents should consider as they set out to prepare their children for life.
When I set out to educate my child 10 years ago, I was quickly overwhelmed by the bewildering array of resources available. All my confusion didn’t find proper order until I learned about Maria Montessori’s three pillars of education: The Child, The Prepared Adult and the Prepared Environment. This was the key to unlocking everything.
I've wanted to produce exactly this webinar for parents in similar situations for years. You might say this is the core of everything Sophia Homeschool does.
This webinar series is absolutely free for now. When it wraps up in mid-May, we will be turning this into one of our regular courses. So take advantage of this awesome opportunity!
Webinar 1 - The Child
• Date: April 23 at 7:30 PM
• Presenter: Maggie Radzik. -- With more than twenty-five years of experience as a Montessori instructor, Maggie has a great passion for the Montessori approach to human development.
• Description: A teacher is not a teacher without the student. And a parent obviously cannot homeschool without the child. So the child is essential to education. But who is that child learning at your feet? As teachers, it is not enough to know the lessons, schedules and academic disciplines. We must be students of the child. This 60-minute webinar will explore the symbiotic relationship between teacher and child as we honor the child’s vocation.
Webinar 2 - The Prepared Adult, Part 1
• Date: April 30 at 7:30 PM
• Presenter: Laura Accettullo -- CCMA Board Member, and Executive Director at John XXIII Montessori Children's Center in Front Royal, VA. A Montessori child herself, she and her husband, Mark, incorporated Montessori principles in the home education of their nine children. Laura is additionally recognized as a CGS National Formation Leader.
• Description: Teachers tend to believe that children learn from books and materials. But children learn most intensely from the teacher -- her mannerisms, her patience (or lack thereof), her sense of wonder, etc. The most important work a teacher can do for her student is to prepare herself each day before greeting her students.
Webinar 3 - The Prepared Adult, Part 2
• Date: May 7 at 7:30 PM
• Presenter: January Donovan -- Best selling author, speaker and national mindset trainer. January has coached women for 20 years on mastering the skills they need to expand their dreams and cultivate a life of meaning.
• Description: In this webinar we will discuss practical ways to prepare yourself to be an exemplary model of maturity and joy for any child to study. How to manage your mindset, emotions, time and tonality so you will be pleased to see your children mimic you.
Webinar 4 - The Prepared Environment
• Date: May 14 at 7:30 PM
• Presenter: Judith Jolma -- Journalist, speaker, coach, homeschooling mother of four and Founder of Sophia Homeschool, Judith has more than 35 years of experience in the homeschool community.
• Description: What did Aristotle and Maria Montessori have in common? They both knew that the environment was every bit as important as the lessons. Beauty, peacefulness and order, ease of access, and freedom of movement are just some of the features that create an ideal learning environment.
This webinar will offer practical advice on how to set up your learning environment at home to enhance learning.